Discover Your Family Tree: Genealogy for the Absolute Beginner
I have do not have experience with any of the Family Tree University courses, but this may be a good overview for those new to genealogy. It is an online course where you download the lessons and complete them over two weeks. At the end of each lesson there is an exercise to complete, and then you receive feedback via email from the instructor. The first session of this course will begin on Monday, October 11, 2010.
Here is the course description from the Family Tree University Web site:
This course will start you on the fun and rewarding journey of discovering your roots. Learn how to begin, where to look for information to extend your family tree, what to do with what you find and how to put it all together.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- How to fill out a family tree chart
- How to record and organize information
- Where to find information to extend your family tree
- How to search online and in repositories
- Anyone new to genealogy and family history research
- Genealogy "dabblers" who need additional direction in order to advance their research
- Researchers who want a refresher course on core family history research principles
- Library and archive staff who want to master basic genealogy principles in order to better assist patrons